Eighteen young writers and poets have won awards in The Mount School’s Creative Writing Competition for the 2019 York Literature Festival!
The competition invited entries on the theme of Moon / Space from writers and poets aged 18 and under. Over 120 entries were received from nine schools from around the country.
The independent panel of adjudicators praised the quality of the entries, saying, “The quality of the entries for this year’s competition made judging them very difficult, but also really exciting. It was a real pleasure to be able to read these pieces and brilliant to see so many promising young writers in York.”
Adrienne Richmond, Principal of The Mount School, said “Congratulations to all of the winners. It’s wonderful to see that the quality of the entries is so high and keeps improving each year. I hope even more schools will submit entries for next year’s competition in celebration of the York Literature Festival.”
Susanna Cooper, Festival Director for the York Literature Festival, today said “We enjoyed a wonderful 2019 York Literature Festival. Our thanks to The Mount for organising the Children’s Creative Writing Competition, which showcased a wealth of incredible talent. I hope these young writers and poets continue to explore their talents and challenge themselves by taking part in future competitions. Perhaps one day they will in turn present their latest novel or poetry anthology at the Festival.”
The full list of winners is below:
- 1st – Oliver Jackson, The Moon (St Mary’s RC Primary School, Richmond)
- 2nd – Amelia Murgatroyd, Aliens (The Mount Junior School)
- 3rd – Florence Kotecha, Zog (The Mount Junior School)
- Honourable Mention – Minah Iveson, The Stars (St Mary’s RC Primary School, Richmond).
12 – 15 years
- 1st – Anya Durbidge, The Moon (The Mount School)
- 2nd – Andrea Garcia, The Moon Know (The Mount School)
- Joint 3rd – Laura Curbelo Romero, The Sun and the Moon (The Mount School) and Sophia Warn, Moon Poem (The Mount School).
16 – 18 years
- 1st – Martha Walker, Nine Haiku (The Mount School)
- 1st – Bea Thompson, Moon Party (Lord Deramore’s Primary School)
- 2nd – Scarlett Hodgeson, The Moon and Back (Ralph Butterfield School)
- 3rd – Ellene Lockhart, The Moon and her Sister (St Mary’s RC Primary School, Richmond)
12 – 15 years
- 1st – Zaara Mahmood, Moon / Space (Bradford Grammar School)
- 2nd – Charla Banks, Luna (The Mount School)
- 3rd – Sophie Lee, For Womankind (The Mount School)
- 1st – Bethanie Warboys, Lunar Falls (The Mount School)
- 2nd – Hannah Walton-Hughes, 484,000kms Away (The Mount School)
The full list of winners is also available on The Mount website here.